Call To Action
Citing the devastating effects of the pandemic and civil unrest, the New York City Business Improvement District Association (of which the Garment District Alliance is a member) has called on Governor Andrew Cuomo, Mayor Bill de Blasio, and New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson to implement a nine-point plan aimed at ensuring the vitality of businesses and the areas they serve.
The plan asks for:
- The mayor to appoint one senior City Hall official to oversee a multi-agency business recovery effort
- Rent and mortgage relief to small business
- Expansion of the Open Restaurants program to other storefront businesses
- Maintaining existing siting criteria for mobile street vendors and to quickly develop new enforcement protocols since the NYPD has been relieved of jurisdiction
- The streamlining of the State Liquor Authority’s procedures to allow for quicker approval of temporary and permanent permits
- Activation of sales tax exemptions to spur retail activity
- Easing requirements to allow non-profit organizations which want to establish open-air markets and pop-ups in city parks and open spaces
- Holding customers and patrons—not businesses--responsible for their actions
- Continuous review and revision of outdated and burdensome rules and law
Read the full statement from the NYC BID Association here.