New Year's Eve Closings
On December 31, the New York Police Department will begin closing down access to Times Square starting at 38th Street and Broadway, and moving north as revelers arrive. Viewing areas will start at 43rd Street and move north. The exact times that these blocks close to pedestrian and vehicular traffic will depend on when the revelers begin arriving. It is likely that there will be no vehicular traffic on either Broadway or Seventh Avenue starting early in the morning of December 31. Vehicles will have difficulty traveling across town above 42nd Street and as far north as 59th Street. Blocks will be closed out to 6th and 8th Avenues. Other traffic closures will take place as necessary depending on crowds.
If you are planning to come to Times Square and join in the festivities, you are advised to enter from Sixth or Eighth Avenue. Your chance of getting a viewing spot near the Ball increases the earlier you arrive. The blocks will be closed off as they fill up northward, street-by-street, as the police deem necessary.
Revelers begin to gather in the late afternoon on New Year's Eve, December 31. The best advice we can give is to get there as early as possible. We cannot predict how quickly the viewing areas will fill up. Prime viewing areas may fill up early in the afternoon.
At approximately 6:00 p.m. EST the Times Square New Year's Eve Ball will be raised to the top of the pole at One Times Square (Broadway at 43rd Street). At exactly 11:59 p.m. EST, the Ball will make its 60-second descent down the flagpole to signal the start of the New Year.
Please Note: Revelers who arrive very early in the day, before the police have established viewing areas, may be moved by the NYPD when barricades are put in place.
At the entry points, and at the spectator viewing areas, each person will be searched with a hand-held wand.
- Knapsacks, Umbrellas and large bags are not permitted. All bags will be searched. Persons declining search will not be admitted into the area.
- “Plain clothes” officers will be deployed throughout the event.
- Newspaper/circular type vending machines will be removed prior to the event.
- Manhole covers are to be sealed shut (41st-50th Streets, 6th-8th Avenues).
- All waste receptacles will be removed on Broadway and 7th Ave. from 42nd to 48th Streets. All traditional receptacles will be removed from 34th Street to 59th Street. Big Belly Solar receptacles will be sealed in those areas.
- Sector commanders will survey their posts and direct the removal of accumulated garbage prior to the event.
- Sanitation to remove bagged garbage (bottles, etc) throughout event.
- Postal service to service all mailboxes 34th to 59th Streets, on 7th & Broadway.
- Radiation detectors will be deployed for use during the event.
- Rooftop posts are positioned along the event as well as overseeing the access points.
- Mobile Field Forces are available for immediate response if needed.
Special instructions will be issued to each post covering the following topics:
- Suspicious packages
- Search guidelines
- Monitoring crowds
- Escorting Residents / Theater / Dinner Guests
Access to Times Square on the evening of December 31st will be from 6th Avenue or 8th Avenue only. No one will be allowed to cross Broadway/7th Avenue once the streets have been closed. If your destination is east of Broadway/7th Avenue, you must enter at 6th Avenue. If your destination is west of Broadway/7th Avenue, you must enter at 8th Avenue.
If you are attending a party or event within Times Square on New Year's Eve, be sure to contact the business to confirm special instructions you may need in order to access the entrance of the establishment.
South of 41st Street
- 37th & 7th Ave
- 37th & Broadway
- 38th & 8th Ave
- 38th & 6th Ave
North of 43rd street
- 46th from 8th & 6th Ave (press access)
- Emergency Vehicle Route (48th, 5th-9th Ave)
- 49th from 8th & 6th Ave
- 52nd from 8th & 6th Ave
- 54th from 6th Ave
- 55th from 8th Ave
- 57th from 7th Ave
- 57th from Broadway
- 58th from 8th & 6th Ave
- 59th from 8th & 6th Ave
- 39th from Broadway to 6th Ave
- 41st from 7th Ave directed westbound to 8th Ave
- 49th from 7th Ave directed eastbound to 6th Ave
- 50th from Broadway directed westbound to 8th Ave
- 53rd from Broadway directed westbound to 8th Ave