CitySource is an annual tradeshow that connects designers and small businesses with local resources held at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Each year, the event brings in over 65 vendors including manufacturers, pattern makers, sample and trim shops from the New York area.
Workshops and demonstrations are free for attendees, but guests must register as it is first come.
10:15 to 11:15 - Introduction to leather techniques - Leather, Lorna Nixon, Lorna Nixon
11:30 to 12:00 - Sustainability Storytelling, Kate Black
- Current market research on the socially-conscious consumer
- How brands are tackling their own stories to the consumer
- How to be part of that story
- How to work with a contractor for development, sampling and pre-production
- Costs and timelines for each of stage
- Best practices (see below)
- What you need before you approach a factory
- Construction techniques
- Ways to avoid mistakes
- What are the appropriate materials to use to get the product you want