The Garment District Alliance seeks a Planning and Streetscape Intern to assist in ongoing streetscape
improvement projects and planning initiatives. The primary responsibilities of the intern are:
- Outdoor surveying of the neighborhood streetscape to collect data on a wide array of physical conditions and infrastructure elements within the BID’s boundaries. The collected data must be reported visually, so knowledge of ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator is critical.
- Management of the Alliance’s database of property and business information. Updating the database requires online research, on-street observations, and email and telephone outreach to owners.
- The Planning and Streetscape Intern may also occasionally be involved in planning and capital projects,economic development initiatives, marketing programs, and business-to-business services, as well as special projects and events. In addition to developing your data collection, mapmaking, and visual communication skills, this is a great opportunity to learn about the workings of a Midtown Manhattan business improvement district and to make valuable contacts.
The successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about improving physical conditions in the urban environment.
- A currently enrolled graduate student in urban planning, geography, urban design, or a related field.
- Motivated, reliable, and highly organized, showing great attention to detail.
- Proficient in ArcGIS, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and the MS Office Suite with strong layout, graphic design, digital file formatting, and visual presentation skills. You may be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of ArcGIS and the Adobe Creative Suite prior to being hired.
- Professional and responsible with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including but not limited to property owners, building superintendents, maintenance staff, and city officials.
- Willing to spend a significant portion of time outdoors, at any time of the year.
SCHEDULE & HOURS
15 to 28 hours per week, January through June.
$20 per hour
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business
must show proof that they have received a COVID-19 vaccine. The Planning and Streetscape Intern is an inperson
position and proof of vaccination will be required.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Wednesday, January 10. Interested applicants should send resume and letter of interest to Jane Rossman at
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Internship.”